Every Day is a Holiday at the Irish Roots Cafe !
Short Video History of my Cafe
Our Books, Videos, Blogs & Band
Genealogy and History Books Meet the Authors
official iTunes Podcast Provider Irish Family History Podcast
The Irish Roots Cafe Blog Our Irish DNA project
The Irish Roots Cafe house band Membership -
Irish Roots Cafe Events
April 20- Our KKFI radio interview, with songs. band auction. 11:00
We are the sponsoring the Irish sean nós gathering this April in K.C.
*April 23-26- Sean Nós gathering; 'old style' singers/dancers/music; free sessions
April 23, Celtic Ranch in Weston, MO. gathering. 6:00-
April 24, Conroys Public House, Overland Park, gathering 6:00-9:00
April 25, Browne's Irish Marketplace, Kansas City, MO. gathering. 5:30-9:30
April 25, Irish Roots Cafe concert online worldwide 7:00. sign in here
April 26, Folk Alliance International, 509 Delaware. 12:30-2:30
April 26, Mikes Tavern, K.C., MO. gathering jam session. 3:00-6:00
June 14-15 - see us at The Scottish Highland Games, Riverside (K.C., MO.)
Aug. 30 - KIrksviille, MO, D.E.L.T.A. Harvest Festival Fundraiser. IRC band
Irish Hedge School
Our New Irish Hedge School Page links for You:
Irish Hedge School Welcome News & Social Media New Irish CD's & DVD's Updates History of Ireland Irish Genealogy Irish Language gaeilge Irish in America Irish Sean Nos Song Irish Citizenship Irish Studies Guest Pics Missouri Irish History Irish DNA FAQ My O'Laughlin Genealogy My Donahue Genealogy About Hedge School Coats of Arms Irish Video For Sale Members
How to Contact Mike
To Contact me directly click here
Social Media Links:
Amazon Author Central
Book Our Band Page
Traditional Song Page
You Tube Videos
iTunes podcast provider
On Skype, my handle is: mickthebridge
Irish Hedge School on FB
Our Mobile Web Site
Worlds most published author in his field. Mike is a one of a kind resource. Since 1978, he has authored 12 hardbound books, 34 Irish genealogy county books, 40 CD's/videos, 300 podcasts, 7 broadcast series', and 1,000 articles. O'Laughlin also publishes rare works by 10 authors, including 'The Annals of Ireland by the Four Masters' and 'The Irish Book of Arms' (60 works in all). His web pages have tallied over 100 million visitors.
Irish Sean Nós & traditional singer Vocalist with the Irish Roots Cafe house band, Mike performed in the first all Irish language stage show in the midwest, and Ranked #1 in the U.S. as a celtic artist on Reverbnation (for nine months). He has had the honor of singing Sean Nós at the annual Gaelic Mass in Kansas City, and currently broadcasts live, streaming audio song shows on the web. Many of his songs are found on YouTube, Vimeo, and iTunes today. Early influences include Joe Heaney of Galway, Cathy Jordon of Dervish, and Niamh Parsons from whom he has taken instruction.
Top 10 Album of Irish Song
Mikes album, 'Irish Song: Traditional and Sean Nós' was placed in the Irish Traditional Music Archives in September, 2013, and named a Top Ten 'Irish Traditional Song Album' for 2013 by Tradconnect out of Dublin, Ireland.
Irish Language Supporter Mike founded and co-hosted the 'Hello Fada' podcast, with curious notes on Irish (gaeilge). He also publishes Irish language works, like 'Tribes and Customs of Hy Many'; and 'Hy Fiachrach'. A noted singer in the Irish, Mike gives basic lessons in Sean Nós song. He has taken beginning Irish language instruction in San Antonio, TX; Dublin, OH; and Kansas City. O'Laughlin regularly holds Irish (gaeilge) song events including 'Seachtaine na Gaeilge' in the community, and believes 'old style' song is best learned via oral tradition, by ear, in dialects seldom taught today.
Irish Roots Mike descends from OLoughlin of Kilfenora, County Clare, and ODonahue of Glenflesk, County Kerry, with Sullivan, Buckley, Kilmartin, Llewellyn and Kelliher roots. He began leading Irish tours and began an Irish import catalogue in the 80's. He collected a 3,000 volume Irish library during those years. In 2004 he founded the 'Irish Families' DNA project at Familytreedna.
A garage band drummer in the 1960s, Mike started a printing company in high school. As a Rockhurst University grad in the 70s, he wrote “The Complete Book for Tracing Your Irish Ancestors”, in the 1980's he was a founder of the Irish American Cultural Center in Kansas City and subsequently founded Irishroots.com and the Irish Roots Cafe.
Appearances: National Public Radio & television; Irish hedge school seminars; Grand Marshall and judge in St. Patricks Day parades; Exhibitor at the Dublin Irish Festival for 14 years; and as a founding member of Irish cultural, bagpipe, and dance groups. A recent show with the Irish Roots Cafe house band, was on Oct. 27, 2013 in a live streaming concert on Concertwindow.more... as an author.
In Person or via your computer
Mike can appear solo, or with the Irish Roots Cafe house band. Performances in Irish, Sean Nos style, or in English. Live in person, or live online, streaming from our living room to yours! (via computer hookup
- Favorite activities: Baseball, Raquetball, Canoeing, and Walking.
- Current interests: Origins of Language; The American West; DNA. Sean Nós Song
- Favorite board game: ‘Scrabble’
- Favorite place to be: ‘On the Beach’.
- First computer: TRS 80 from Radio Shack, way back when.
- Would fix it if he could: the School System in Kansas City.
- Best Movie: ‘Ben Hur’, without a doubt.
- Favorite Irish Festival: Dublin, Ohio.
- Favorite Food Before Heart Attack: BBQ & French Fries
- Favorite Food Post Heart Attack: Turkey burgers and Broccoli (right!)
Bard to Irish Families
What the Press has said:
- A Hallmark in the Field of Irish Studies - Irish Books and Media
- "Extends coverage to all who call Ireland home" - Dallas News, TX
- Major source book for Irish families - South Bend Tribune, IN
- American's greatest compiler of Irish history - The Herald, NJ
- O'Laughlin has finally done it - Pensacola News Journal, FL
- One of the top authorities in Irish heritage - AFRA Today
- New hallmark in Irish family history - Alexandria Daily, LA
- Never before have so many Irish family names, locations, and sources in one place
- - Commercial News, Danville, IL
- Michael O’Loughlin, mentioned above, also runs a fantastic website...
- ; - July 08 / Irish America Magazine
- * Michael is the worlds leading expert in Irish Roots..-IrishCentral.com. 2011.
- Mikes album, a Top 10 'Traditional Irish Song Album of the year' - Feb. 2014
- -per Tradconnect, Dubllin, Ireland
My album with old style Irish songs and historical notes (below)! All support appreciated
For Free song sample: click on left hand arrow above, to purchase click on red !
Some of our Past shows:
1) The Savannah (Georgia) Genealogical Society Banquet, April 26, 2008. Thanks !
2) National Genealogical Soc. Conference. K.C., MO. May 14 - 16, 2008. Thanks !
3) The Kansas City Literary Festival on the Plaza. May 17, 2008. Thanks !
4) Brownes Deli 121st anniversary, oldest Irish business in America, June 28, 2008. Thanks !
6) National Archives at Kansas City. Grand Opening podcast. May 23, 2009. 10:00-1:00
7) Dublin, Ohio, Irish Fest, consult/exhibit. Genealogy & Sean Nós Song Tent. Aug. 2011
8) K.C. Royals Stadium: Halfway to St. Pats pre-game exhibit, 4:30-6:30, Sept 17, 2011
9) Dublin, Ohio Irish Fest Aug 3 - 5, 2012. Irish Genealogy tent. Sean Nós tent.
10) Louisville, KY, Irish Fest Sept. 28-30, 2012. Old style song at the ceili
10b) Crossroads Coffeehouse, K.C., MO. 3/1/13
11) St. Andrews Church, Gladstone, MO. 3/2/13
12) Brownes Irish Marketplace, K.C., MO 3/09/13
13) Louisburg, Kansas, (band) Immaculate Conception fundraiser 3/10/13
14) The Celtic Ranch, Weston, Missouri, band 3/16/13
15) Irish Language house band; Granada Theater, Lawrence Kansas 3/23/13
16) Brownes Irish Street Faire, KCMO, June 22, 2013.
17) Dublin, Ohio Irish Festival, August, 2013
18) The Granada Theatre, Lawrence, KS. Sept 15, 2013.
19) Louisville, KY, Irish Fest, September 27-29, 2013, Bellarmine University
20) Streaming live video concert. ConcertWindow.com. Oct 27,
21) The Celtic Ranch, Feb 1, March 1. Weston, MO. Red Head Parade !
22) Louisburg, KS, March 15, 2014 Irish Dinner, Raffle, and entertainment.
23) Gladstone, MO, St. Andrew the Apostle, Irish night, March 8,
Feb. 1 - St. Brigids Day - Irish Singers Session, The Celtic Ranch, Weston, MO.
Feb. 15 - Brownes Irish Market - Book Signing, Brownes Irish Market, K.C., MO.
Feb. 22 - Brownes Irish Breakfast (band) - Brownes Irish Market, K.C., MO,.
March 1 - Weston, MO, Red Head Parade, IRC band
March 8 -Gladstone, MO, St. Andrews, Irish Fest Dinner, IRC band
March 8 - Brownes Irish Breakfast (band) - Brownes Irish Market, K.C., MO.
24) Scottish Highland Games, June 14 -15. Riverside (Kansas City)
Free Search box below to find names, places, or events in books !